Sunday, April 5, 2009

April 3, 2009

Brideshead Revisited (2008)
This movie is like a cross between The Great Gatsby and The Dreamers but with less graphic sex and more sexually ambiguous British men. Matthew Goode continues to seduce me with his amazing voice, and in this movie I learned that he can raise one eyebrow, which is hot. My complaints were mostly with the three-way relationship between his character and the siblings that he becomes involved with - Sebastian and Julia. His relationship with Sebastian in the beginning is sweet and strong (although Sebastian feels a little miscast) but then he almost immediately switches his attention to Julia. In fact, I really felt no sympathy for Julia at all. She's not a likeable character at any stage in the film. Towards the end, the movie begins to devolve into first a slight ripoff of Titanic and then a commentary on religion. Emma Thompson is good as always, but every time I looked at her, at first I thought it was Helen Mirren.
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment