Wednesday, April 29, 2009

April 28, 2009

Mr. Robinson Crusoe (1932)
The print that I have of this movie wasn't great, but any movie made in the 30s or before, unless it's something major like Gone With the Wind, is lucky to have a watchable print surviving at all. I am very much a fan of using film instead of digital technology, both for production and projection, but when I think of all the features that have been lost to time, I do appreciate how digital technology has been used to preserve what we have. As for the movie itself, it suffers the same problems that any movie of this kind would - it's boring to watch a man talking to himself on a deserted island for any length of time. This isn't silent, but it's a very early talkie, meaning there are long stretches with no dialogue or sound effects.
My Netflix rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment