Friday, April 17, 2009

April 16, 2009

Dante's Peak (1997)
Released around the same time as Volcano (which I'll probably watch soon, because as absurd and ridiculous as it is, I really like it), this is the one of the two that actually could happen in real life. A lot of the science mentioned in the movie, for example, is pretty close to factual. Are things exaggerated and sometimes outright made up? Of course. But this is Hollywood, man! The director uses one technique that's really effective where he shows the erupting volcano through a car window with the faint reflection of the actors' faces superimposed over it. It's clever. The characters do find themselves in Sudden Imminent Danger a lot, but I buy that more in a movie like this, since it is about an erupting volcano. Pierce Brosnan can take on evil spies or volcanoes and I'll still watch him - he just shouldn't ever sing.
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment