Thursday, April 2, 2009

April 1, 2009

Cinderella (1950)
Obviously, Disney as an entity is obsessed with mice. So much in fact, that almost equal time is given to the mice characters in this movie as is given to Cinderella and the Prince. They even get their own villain - Lucifer the cat. (Disney also obviously doesn't like cats, given Lucifer here, the Siamese cats in Lady and the Tramp, and the creepy Cheshire Cat in Alice in Wonderland.) Lucifer and the evil stepmother are the most compelling characters in the film. The three early Disney Princesses (Cinderella along with Snow White and Sleeping Beauty) were all pretty passive, as most of their life-changing events happen because of things others do, not because of things they do themselves (I think I read about that in The Gospel According to Disney - I know I read it somewhere).
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment