Saturday, January 30, 2010

January 30, 2010

A League of Their Own (1992)
#69 on my Top 100 List
Here we go - the home stretch! After this, I only have seven days left in this year. I can't believe how fast it's gone! I love baseball and this is one of the best baseball movies I've seen. Tom Hanks gives a great performance as a washed-up lush of a former ball player who is roped into managing one of the first all-girls' baseball teams that was formed while the MLB players were overseas fighting in WWII. Madonna also gives a convincing performance as a former dance hall girl as does David Strathairn as the league manager (though he's always fantastic and I don't just think so because he was in LA Confidential). The movie balances comedy with drama, especially in a pivotal scene where one of the players learns that her husband has been killed in the war. Plus the movie spawned a phrase and taught America a lesson that even real life baseball players remember - there's no crying in baseball!
My Netflix rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment