Sunday, January 24, 2010

January 23, 2010

Rosemary's Baby (1968)
#47 on my Top 100 List
I meant to watch this back around Halloween, since it feels like a Halloween movie to me, but I missed it and since it's on the list, I had to watch it now, despite the fact that it felt totally out of season. This movie is very creepy right from the very beginning with the spine-tingling lullaby that plays over shots of a gothic old apartment building (in real life the Dakota in Manhattan). Mia Farrow is perfect as the waifish unwitting mother of Satan's child - it's horrible to watch her suffer through the pain of her pregnancy and her perfect drugged calm while she's being raped by the devil is what makes it one of the most disturbing rape scenes I've seen in a film. The end is also creepy, made moreso again by Mia Farrow and the look on her face just as the story fades to credits.
My Netflix rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment