Saturday, January 2, 2010

January 2, 2010

Zodiac (2007)
#49 on my Top 100 List
I absolutely love David Fincher. Normally with scary movies or scenes, I can break them down in my head to the point at which they're no longer scary. You know - the music is ominous, the lighting's really dark, you can't see around that corner, etc. There is one scene in this movie that takes place in a basement and no matter how many times I watch it, it still terrifies me. David Fincher is the only director who can still scare me. The structure of this movie is also fascinating - the actual Zodiac investigation lasted over 20 years and though the movie's a little long at 2 1/2 hours, it doesn't drag. In fact, if anything, it gets more and more tense as Robert Graysmith gets drawn deeper into his own obsession. Jake Gyllenhaal plays him very well. Robert Downey, Jr. is great as the eccentric reporter who originally tries to crack Zodiac, though seeing him fall apart through drugs and alcohol is a little uncomfortable. And keep an eye out for Elias Koteas as the police sergeant from Vallejo - also known as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles's Casey Jones!
My Netflix rating: 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. The basement scene creeps me out, and I am left confused as to the homeowner's motive!

    ReplyDelete