Sunday, July 5, 2009

June 29, 2009

Volcano (1997)
I'm back! The Caribbean was awesome, but don't worry - I got my movie in every day. On the plane ride down, this movie kept me quite entertained. I know it's not a great movie, but I love it anyway. I used to live in Los Angeles right by the La Brea Tar Pits (where the titular volcano forms) and it's quite disconcerting to see my old neighborhood consumed by lava. It follows several obligatory conventions of the disaster movie, such as a dog needing to be rescued from a burning building, frequent Sudden Imminent Danger, and the noble self-sacrifice of a nameless public servant. It also, however, includes some things not usually seen: museum workers rescuing pieces of art from LACMA (Los Angeles County Art Museum) and cooperation between various disaster groups such as the USGS and the LAFD. It's a fairly positive image of how a major city might deal with a disaster. Plus, I adore Don Cheadle and think he's very good in this. Finally, the art direction is great in that it turns the city of Los Angeles into a winter wonderland carpeted with ash instead of snow.
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment