Sunday, July 5, 2009

July 2, 2009

Creature From the Black Lagoon (1954)
#51 on my Top 100 List
I've just learned that a remake of this movie is due to come out in 2011 and that makes me very, very sad. This is my absolute favorite of the classic Universal Monster Movies and also the last, most of them having been made in the 30s. It looks at evolution, archeology, and issues of intrusion into nature, while at the same time maintaining audience sympathy for both the scientists AND the Creature himself. The underwater photography is beautiful and though the Creature looks sort of ridiculous now, it was pretty impressive for 1954. It's one of the only Universal Monster Movies not to bank on a horror character actor in the role of the monster and there is no denying that the phrase "creature from the black lagoon" has made its definite mark on our popular lexicon even today.
My Netflix rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment