Sunday, July 5, 2009

July 5, 2009

Public Enemies (2009)
This is an Oscar bait movie. It's an early Oscar bait movie, granted, but I'm thinking that this one will show up on a nominations list early next year. Overall, I liked it. The music is very very strange - in some places it's perfect and in others it is so misplaced that I swear whoever was responsible must have been asleep. I loved the cast - besides the three leads, several interesting faces popped up in supporting roles from Billy Crudup and David Wenham to Emilie de Ravin and Shawn Hatosy. The story is interesting in that it paints John Dillinger and his gang truly as a Robin Hood-esque figure who was pursued by the law by beloved of the public. Johnny Depp as Dillinger is truly enjoyable to watch. Beware, though, that Michael Mann seems to be a fan of the hand-held camera work.
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! I liked this movie too minus that it made me kind of want to throw up sometimes with all the moving around of the camera, especially the shoot-out scene from the hotel? or house? Ick!


    ~Devon~

    ReplyDelete