Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Bonus Midnight Movie

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009)
Hmm...where to begin. For the majority of this movie, I really liked it. There were little things that bothered me, but nothing too major. Then, the closer it got to the end, the more it started to fall apart. Here are my major dislikes. First, they cut out the majority of the last chapter of the book. You know, the one that features a major school-wide ceremony? No ceremony in the movie. Second, there is a very long list of characters that were drastically underused including: Mrs. Weasley, Fred and George Weasley, Luna Lovegood, Remus Lupin, Tonks, and Hagrid. Plus, I think that Narcissa Malfoy and Romilda Vane were both badly miscast. Third, the Harry and Ginny relationship was built up quite a bit, but the payoff definitely left something to be desired. And finally, the Burrow?? I know it sounds like I didn't like the movie at all, but that's not true. It was (for the first part anyway) pretty true to the book and the parts could be made so were very funny. I still love the job that David Yates is doing, though he seemed to be channeling Alfonso Cuaron's werewolf when he designed the Inferi. I still like the fifth film best, but for the most part, I enjoyed this as well.
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment