Monday, July 27, 2009

July 26, 2009

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999)
This one continues the tradition set by the first Austin Powers of breaking the fourth wall and including weird musical interludes. However, I like this one better than the first. That could be because I love Rob Lowe (a young Number Two) or because Starbucks is the front of Dr. Evil's evil organization (I do love Starbucks, but the idea of it being evil is hilarious) or it could be simply because I watched this one more when I was younger. Whether you like the movie or hate it, it did offer the world of pop culture Mini-Me and Fat Bastard, which I'm really not sure is a good thing or a bad thing. However, we do get to hear Mike Myers say that Mini-Me has a "creepy oompa-loompa vibe," which is really a great line. This is also the film where it becomes obvious how incompetent Dr. Evil really is - another great veiled reference to the "great" Bond villains of old. A lot of them really were terrible at being evil when you think about it. Finally, it includes an awesome De Lorean allusion and one of the most awkward and horrifying post-sex scenes in the history of film.
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment