Monday, November 30, 2009

November 27, 2009

From Here to Eternity (1953)
#83 on my Top 100 List
I know that there have been quite a few from my Top 100 list lately - there are two reasons for that. One, I want to make sure that I get them all in before the end of the year and two, I'd forgotten how much fun it is to watch a bunch of movies that I truly love all in a row. It's fun to write bad reviews, but it's way more fun to watch good movies. I love this movie because it's about Pearl Harbor, but it's not. It takes place in Hawaii, if not at Pearl Harbor then certainly not far, and it's about a company of infantrymen and the attack on Pearl Harbor is the climax, but it's really about soldiers and what they go through both in peacetime and in war. Montgomery Clift, surprisingly, makes a believable soldier and Frank Sinatra truly shines as his hotheaded best friend Maggio. The other performances are great too, but those two overshadow them. The famous beach scene, so scandalous in its time, lasts barely longer than a second.
My Netflix rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment