Friday, November 13, 2009

November 12, 2009

The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
#37 on my Top 100 List
A lot of people say that this is the best of the original trilogy - and while I love it and it's in the top half of my Top 100 list, it's actually my least favorite of the original three. That being said, I adore playful and mischievous Yoda, the art direction for Cloud City is beautiful (made more so by the special effects added into the Special Edition), and this is the one where Han and Leia get together. Their exchange before Han's carbonite bath is beautiful simply because it's so minimal. There's no flowery language or hysterical tears. That's not either character's style. Another thing - George Lucas (say what you want about him) is very, very good at setting up tableaus to end his films just before cutting to credits. The Phantom Menace, A New Hope, and Return of the Jedi do this best, but all of the SW films have it. Check it out next time you watch it!
My Netflix rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment