Saturday, November 21, 2009

November 20, 2009

Finding Nemo (2003)
#89 on my Top 100 List
Oh, the movie that taught the world what it was like to speak whale. I think that part of the appeal and success of this movie was that it was so refreshingly new. Disney has a long-standing tradition of adapting fairy tales and books into animated movies (and the results have always been overwhelmingly positive), but it was so nice and different to see a brand new story. The voice cast is amazing (as always with Disney), with the biggest stand-outs being Ellen DeGeneres, Allison Janney, Geoffrey Rush, and Willem Dafoe. Listen closely and you'll hear Eric Bana as the vegetarian hammerhead shark, too. The film also looks great - with a brand new CG technique for creating realistic-looking water. I know that I spend a lot of time talking about how much I don't like CG animation, but if the story is strong enough (which I think this one is), then I can get past it.
My Netflix rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment