Tuesday, November 17, 2009

November 17, 2009

A Serious Man (2009)
Okay, I am obviously missing something. I know that most people think that everything the Coen brothers touch turns to gold, but I have yet to see one of their films that I didn't find irritating and boring. This movie, for example, is nothing but a ripoff of American Beauty. The main character, just like Kevin Spacey's Lester Burnham, has a philandering wife, an unappreciative daughter, a frustrating job, even a drug-dealing neighbor. But where American Beauty illustrates suburban midlife despair with subtlty and beauty (for lack of a better word), this goes over the top and smashes its ideas in the audience's faces. The excessive dream sequences and the meaningless side plots are only frustrating and annoying. I know this is supposed to take place in the 60s, but did there have to be so many horn-rimmed glasses? The most interesting part of the movie was the short prologue, which unfortunately had nothing to do with anything else.
My Netflix rating: 2 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment