Saturday, November 21, 2009

November 19, 2009

A Christmas Carol (2009)
This movie is definitely not a kid's movie. I'm not entirely sure that Charles Dickens intended his story to be a children's story, but that seems to be the way its been slanted ever since. Not so with this version. It's dark and twisted and scary, showing images of Hell and the grim reaper, not to mention putting the main character in multiple dangerous situations (including being chased by horses that look like they belonged to the Ringwraiths once upon a time). The voice cast is amazing, headed by Jim Carrey but including Colin Firth and Gary Oldman. I know most people don't particularly enjoy motion-capture animation, but I prefer that to CG animation (though I prefer most things to CG animation). It is obvious, though, that they put far more effort into creating lifelike faces only for the main characters and left the secondary characters to suffer.
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment