Saturday, May 29, 2010

66. May 29, 2010 - Adaptation (2002)

This is a truly weird movie. I should expect nothing less from Charlie Kaufman, but he still manages to surprise me with how far out there he goes. Normally, there isn't much of a story about a writer's process - all the great movies that have that as a plot point (Barton Fink, The Shining, Secret Window, etc.) have other elements to fill in the boring parts. Writers, after all, spend a lot of time staring at a blank computer screen. This movie actually takes the paralyzing nature of writer's block and applies it to the story. There's other stuff, of course, like affairs, poaching and drug use, and the ever-present danger of being mauled in the swamp by an alligator (also, the mysterious twin brother?) but the story is actually about the story. When the script is finished, the audience feels as much relief as the writer.
My Netflix rating: 3 stars

2 comments:

  1. I'd suggest seeing it a second time. It helps reveal something a lot more poetic and a deeper meaning a second time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best movie of the decade for me. I agree with Celtic (I've seen it six times and love it more each time), and also that reading The Orchid Thief adds yet another layer to it as you can see where fact ends and begins to overlap with fiction.

    ReplyDelete