Thursday, December 31, 2009

December 30, 2009

X2: X-Men United (2003)
#63 on my Top 100 List
This is by far the best of the X-Men movies. Ian McKellan, though slightly reminiscent of Gandalf, makes an excellent Magneto and Hugh Jackman manages to completely lose himself in the role of Logan/Wolverine. Alan Cumming's addition of Nightcrawler adds a nice touch of dark comedy to the whole thing. The Wolverine/Lady Deathstryke fight is awesome and I don't care what anyone says - Storm is awesome. I'm totally impressed by the makeup done for Mystique - I know that some of the look is CGI, but some is also very clearly blue makeup and prosthetics. I can't even imagine how long that must have taken to be applied every day. The only disappointment I have with this movie is not actually with this one - they set up the Phoenix to come into play and X-Men: The Last Stand screwed it up so badly that I can barely stand to watch the end of this one. At least I have the 90s cartoon version to watch - they got the Phoenix right!
My Netflix rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment