Wednesday, December 2, 2009

December 1, 2009

Jurassic Park (1993)
#13 on my Top 100 List
Anytime Steven Spielberg and John Williams get together, you know you're going to get something amazing. This movie is absolutely wonderful. From the attack at the beginning to the stunning and majestic first view of a dinosaur (perfect with John Williams' score), it's all moving and exciting and then thrilling and scary. I love Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum, who delivers his dryly sarcastic lines with great wit, including one of my favorite movie lines ever, "Yeah, but John, if the Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists!") and I love that Samuel L. Jackson has a bit part. The special effects hold up to the test of time, still impressive even now after we've seen CGI blow-outs like The Matrix. The raptors are great villains - the scene in the kitchen is tense and slightly horrifying and the scene where they eat the poor game warden (maybe I'm spoiling this, but this movie's been out nearly 20 years and if you haven't seen it by now, why are you reading this?) scared me so much when I was little that I didn't actually watch it until the third or fourth time of viewing the movie. I like that the T-rex isn't actually the villain. Yeah, she ate the lawyer, but she was hungry and that guy was annoying anyway. There's a great article on Wikipedia about what sounds they blended to make all of the dinosaur calls. It's not very similar to the book, but Michael Crichton was involved with the screenwriting, so one has to assume that he approved of the changes.
My Netflix rating: 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. Having just seen Avatar, I think James Cameron may have snagged some raptor sound effects.
    Freakin' LOVE Jurassic Park... I don't care how much more advanced CGI manages to make itself - when the triceratops breathes while whatshisface is leaning on it - coolest. scene. ever.

    ReplyDelete