Monday, December 7, 2009

December 6, 2009

The Great Gatsby (1974)
#11 on my Top 100 List
I'm not going to start on why I still own this on VHS instead of DVD (why in the world would you RESCORE the DVD for a movie that won Best Original Score???) but it's for situations like this that I'm glad I still have a VCR. I know that this movie gets a lot of criticism, but I have yet to see a more definitive film version of this novel. Robert Redford is Gatsby. Sam Waterston is equally strong as Nick. The two play off each other well and are very convincing as two men who couldn't be more different, yet end up as close friends anyway. Their first meeting is delightfully and painfully awkward, as it should be for people in their social situations. The Roaring 20's are alive and well through the music and costumes, as well as the mansions in which they chose to shoot the movie. Different parts of three of Newport, Rhode Island's most impressive historic mansions (Rosecliffe, The Breakers, and Marble House) make up Gatsby's home - all are open to the public and all are worth the trip. I'm always upset by the ending of this film - I want Nick to tell Tom and Jordan that Daisy was driving the car, so that Gatsby can have some absolution, but it never comes.
My Netflix rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment