Monday, December 21, 2009

December 21, 2009

Brothers (2009)
I'm glad that I saw this back-to-back with The Messenger because they share a similar theme and tone - this one's just much better. I didn't know that Tobey Maguire had those kinds of acting chops in him, but he's great as the soldier who suffers torture at the hands of the enemy and, after coming home, finds that he can't deal with the real world anymore. Natalie Portman, Jack Gyllenhaal and Carey Mulligan (although she's really only in one scene - again she's great) round out a fantastic cast. The two girls cast as the daughters are adorable and good little actors. Some of the POW scenes are incredibly difficult to watch, but somehow the movie manages not to be smotheringly depressing (I'm looking at you, The Hours).
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment