Sunday, December 20, 2009

December 19, 2009

White Christmas (1954)
This is just more evidence to support my theory that 1954 is second only to 1939 as Hollywood's greatest year. Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye are a perfect team (the girls are good too, but those two are the real stars of the show), balancing comedy and absolutely beautiful singing. The musical numbers themselves get a little repetitive, but sequence at the end more than makes up for that. It's a touching Christmas moment, but without the saccharine sentimentality of It's a Wonderful Life. Parts of this are obviously shot on a sound stage, but for the most part that doesn't detract.
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

1 comment:

  1. I am going to miss this blog once the year is up! I only wish I had time to watch most of these movies.

    ReplyDelete