Monday, October 5, 2009

October 4, 2009

Bright Star (2009)
This is only sort of a book adaptation, since the screenwriter was "inspired by" a biography of Romantic poet John Keats, but I figured that it's close enough. I know that Keats is considered and remembered as one of the best of the Romantics, but did this movie have to be quite so emo? His love affair with Fanny Brawne really was chastely passionate and tragically brief - and this movie was incredibly well-acted and beautifully designed - but I think that the true telling sign of how the audience was receiving it was when my friends and I were quite violently shh'd by the woman sitting behind us as we dared to talk quietly during the credits, over the recitation of one of Keats's poems by Ben Whishaw. By the way, we're into Potential Oscar Nominee season, so there will be many more films in theaters coming up. I don't even consider it an option - if something is likely to get nominated, I'll try my best to see it, whether I want to or not.
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment