Sunday, October 11, 2009

October 10, 2009

The Others (2001)
I know the concept has been done before, but I don't mind that here. I won't ruin the ending, but it's something that you might not expect. I also really enjoy Nicole Kidman's performance. The way that they shot the film is very interesting, given that the two children are so photosensitive that they can't be exposed to any sunlight (which apparently is a real condition, just very rare). It's dark and full of flickering candlelight that causes interesting shadows in deep corners. The cast consists of seven characters with a handful who show up in the very end, but it only helps to reinforce the feeling of isolation and abandonment. The moment when the little boy questions the fate of his father is one of the saddest and most haunting moments in the film.
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment