Sunday, October 25, 2009

October 23, 2009

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
I can never decide if I think this is a Christmas movie or a Halloween movie. I suppose that technically it's both - this year, I'm going with Halloween. You know how I revere hand-drawn animation over most other filmmaking styles? The only thing that I hold in higher regard is stop-motion animation, which this is. Every single frame (that's 24 frames a second, folks) had to be set on a miniature set and shot as a still, then they moved onto the next one. I experimented with some stop-motion animation when I was in school, and let me tell you - it's frakking hard. I have nothing but awe and the utmost respect for filmmakers who do that. The songs in the movie, too, are catchy and appropriate (but they lose points for getting stuck in my head for weeks).
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment