Thursday, October 1, 2009

October 1, 2009

Ghostbusters (1984)
#34 on my Top 100 List
This is another one of those movies that I find myself quoting all over the place. There's something eternally endearing about the four hapless self-proclaimed ghost hunters who get in way over their heads when they have to battle an ancient god in New York City. A god who is, of course, in the form of a stories-tall Marshmallow Man. Considering that this was made in the mid-80s, the special effects are actually pretty impressive. I am curious as to how no one noticed the huge Sumerian temple situated atop a luxury apartment building, but I guess I can forgive them for it, since I have no problem with the idea of a blobby green apparition with a taste for hotdogs. Oh, Slimer. Rick Moranis is great as the dorky lawyer who ends up being possessed by the Key Master and turns into a lizard-like dog.
My Netflix rating: 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. The best description of Ghostbusters I've ever read pointed out that the reason it's so awesome is because Bill Murray fights a Sumerian god using primarily sarcasm....and wins. I'm still holding out for a third movie...

    ReplyDelete