Monday, September 28, 2009

September 25, 2009

Edward Scissorhands (1990)
#80 on my Top 100 List
I've decided that I'm going to try to watch everything on my Top 100 list before the end of this experiment, so expect to see more of those in the future. I also toyed with the idea of including all of the Best Picture winners as well, but then I remembered that there are some that I have seen and don't ever want to watch again, so that probably won't happen. This movie marks I think the true beginning of Johnny Depp's career, for this is the first of his many quirky roles and his first collaboration with Tim Burton. And speaking of Tim Burton, please raise your hand if there is anyone out there who would actually like to live in his creepy cookie-cutter version of Suburbia. I didn't think so. The pastel houses, the identicle lawns, right up to the creepy gothic mansion set high on the hill - it's so normal and yet so off. In other words, so Tim Burton. Also making an appearance is the bright red paint in leiu of realistic blood that he was so fond of in Sweeney Todd. The unfinished creation Edward is one of the most sympathetic characters that I can think of in recent cinema, made moreso by Johnny Depp's soft-spoken, often almost mute performance. And finally, I would just like to say that a bright teal jumpsuit is never okay.
My Netflix rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment