Monday, September 14, 2009

September 13, 2009

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)
I'm normally not a fan of movie musicals, especially ones that are so operatic. But this is Tim Burton and Johnny Depp, so how can I not like it? From what I've heard, the original staging of Sweeney Todd treats the story more like a comedy, but this one is a dark gothic horror that includes buckets of red paint in place of blood. The color of the paint is definitely off from what you'd expect, but somehow it fits into this scary version of London that Burton has created. Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter aren't great singers, but they're passable - their voices just sound untrained. Alan Rickman, on the other hand, can't sing at all, but he's Alan Rickman, so I forgive him. I do feel bad for the kid in the story, as well as the crazy street woman, whose true identity I'll keep a secret. This is cannabalism at its sadistic best.
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment