Friday, September 25, 2009

September 24, 2009

Good Night, and Good Luck. (2005)
#24 on my Top 100 List
Besides the amazing cast that George Clooney put together (including Frank Langella, Jeff Daniels, and Patricia Clarkson), the most striking thing about this movie is the way it looks. The sets are perfectly reminiscent of a 1950s television studio resurrected and the way the cigarette smoke curls slowly through the light beams in beautiful black and white is amazing. Memoirs of a Geisha won the Oscar that year for cinematography, but I think that it was entirely undeserving - the way that this movie was shot is pure art. The story of Edward R. Murrow's showdown with Senator Joseph McCarty doesn't exactly make for a thrilling tale, but it's interesting and historical and most of all, important to our culture. David Strathairn embodied Murrow perfectly. This was also the first time that I had seen Robert Downey Jr. for a long time in a film - and the one that made me go, huh - I wonder what he's up to now? Clearly, it was just the beginning of his amazing comeback.
My Netflix rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment