Sunday, September 13, 2009

September 11, 2009

Holy Smoke (1999)
Kate Winslet enters a cult in India, her parents drag her home to Australia where she's then given to a deprogramming guru who will supposedly help her not want to be in the cult anymore. Um, okay, but the "cult" that she was supposedly living in didn't seem all that sinister to me. In fact, given how the movie ends, I'm pretty sure that they were harmless. This movie won a handful of awards (though none of them Oscars), so apparently I'm missing something, but I thought this movie was really weird and not in a good way. Kate Winslet does however fake a pretty good Australian accent, though I shouldn't be surprised since she faked a decent New Zealand accent in Heavenly Creatures.
My Netflix rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment