Thursday, September 17, 2009

September 17, 2009

Secret Window (2004)
Johnny Depp is the perfect illustration of a frustrated, desperate writer - ratty bathrobe, crazy unbrushed hair, a diet of Mountain Dew and Doritos. Then John Turturro shows up and starts doing things like murdering his dog and threatening his friends, all over an accusation of plaigerism. Is it true or is he crazy? I'm so not ruining the surprise on this one - just watch it. It's terrifying at first, though once you've seen it, the scare factor wears off. Regardless, it does warrent multiple viewings, if only for the fun of trying to decipher the clues once you know what they point to. Horror characters never seem to learn that isolated cabins in the woods are never a good idea. Johnny Depp is also pretty good at the deadpan humor ("I killed a mirror. And my shower door" for example) - something I haven't seen him do too much.
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment