Friday, August 7, 2009

August 7, 2009

Julie & Julia (2009)
Here we are - six months of watching movies! To celebrate, we went to see this movie, which is about two things I am awfully fond of - cooking and blogging. One note on my fondness for cooking - I like the idea of it and I like watching other people do it, but I feel awfully inept when I try to do it myself. Also, I'm way too squeamish - raw meat disgusts me. Anyway, I found this story of Julia Child and Julie Powell, the woman sixty years later who was inspired by Child to turn her life around through cooking, to be touching, funny, and heartfelt. Meryl Streep is amazing as always, Amy Adams is adorable as always, and Stanley Tucci made me fall in love with him as Julia Child's devoted and adoring husband Paul. I knew nothing about Julia Child going in to this, other than that she was a famous chef who had a cookbook and was on TV, but I felt that this did a great job of showing her a whole person, not just the cooking personality. It showed her when she was down as well as when she was successful, everything from getting really excited over shopping for vegetables to overenthusiastically chopping onions to crying when her sister gets pregnant. Julie Powell isn't quite as gripping a character, though Amy Adams makes the most of it. The "Lobster Killer" scene is hysterical. I'm predicting acting Oscar nominations come January.
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment