Thursday, August 20, 2009

August 19, 2009

Legend (1986)
It's easy to forget sometimes that there were fantasy films before Lord of the Rings. I'm going to say right now that I was spoiled by Lord of the Rings and its mindblowing visuals and therefore cannot judge this film objectively. The unfortunate truth is that every fantasy film that I see now will be automatically compared to Lord of the Rings. Is that fair? No. But I can't help it. So baring that in mind, here we go. The one overwhelming thing that I don't understand in this movie is the need to have something constantly falling and swirling through the air. It's flower petals at first, then snow while the bad guys are in charge, then back to flower petals. It's not really a great addition to the look of the movie - it just makes it hard to see. As for the two lead characters, they're sort of a cliche of every major fantasy character written thus far and their dialogue only reiniforces that. I know this is a beloved movie of many many people and I think that I just missed out by watching it too late.
My Netflix rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment