Wednesday, June 24, 2009

June 23, 2009

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)
The beginning of a story is always a touchy process - you have to introduce characters, establish the tone, set up the world, and suck your audience in. The first Harry Potter story is my least favorite, but that by no means means that I don't like it. I think that JK Rowling created a very comprehensive magical golden world in the first book that Chris Columbus takes and turns into a beautiful lavish movie. I know that some people criticize the first two movies for being too happy, bright, or rich, but that's how you have to start a series like this. You have to let the characters be kids first. Sure, the evil Voldemort is out there, but Harry is seeing all of this for the first time in this movie, just like the audience. It should be the best and most beautiful thing he's ever seen. The casting is near perfect, with some notable exceptions in later films which I'll discuss when we get there, and most of the kids, even at this young age, are pretty good actors.
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment