Sunday, June 14, 2009

June 12, 2009

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967)
Spencer Tracey, marry me! Anyone who can play the part of the reluctantly bigoted jerk and then give a closing speech like that is just amazing. Not all of the issues examined in this movie are relevant to the present, but if you can imagine the world in 1967, it's a very sensitive subject matter. I just learned from Wikipedia that Spencer Tracey died less than a month after filming, which I think makes his final speech even more touching. It was a tight Best Picture race that year, with this and a handful of other great films ultimately losing to In the Heat of the Night.
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

1 comment:

  1. This movie had a profound effect on my thinking about race issues - and was right on the heels of the major thrust of the Civil Rights movement. Pretty powerful, and one of my all-time favorites!

    ReplyDelete