Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (2011)

The Nick on 8/23/11
At first, when I realized they were splitting this film and setting half of the story in the present day, I was not at all pleased. I discovered this book a very long time ago on a new fiction table in California and I love it. I think it's a story that doesn't need to be enhanced or embellished to be a good movie. But once it got going and I saw exactly how they were doing it, it wasn't as hard to watch as I thought it would be. I see it as a completely separate entity from the book, but still enjoyable. I do appreciate when they put actors in dual roles, IF it's done well, and it is here. Nina/Lily and Sophia/Snow Flower make perfect sense to me as dual roles.
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

New Movies in Year Three: 79

No comments:

Post a Comment