Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Help (2011)

Westbrook Cinemagic with Lauren on 8/14/11
This was far, far better than I expected! I tend to avoid any books or movies that have such a following, so I've never read this. I was expected a much more superficial story. And yes, there is some emotional manipulation going on, but the story is strong enough that I can forgive it. Past that, the performances are breathtaking. I have only seen Emma Stone in Zombieland and Easy A, both of which are awesome of course, but she blew me away here too. She is easily one of the best new actresses of the last couple years. She sells the story and the emotions behind it 100%. I feel like the perspective of domestic servants is still one that isn't ever explored, even today. The message doesn't feel dated or out of place at all.
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

New Movies in Year Three: 72

No comments:

Post a Comment