Tuesday, December 14, 2010

164. December 13, 2010 - 127 Hours (2010)

Gore doesn't bother me. Maybe it's because I know how filmmakers do it or because I've done effects makeup myself or because I've become very good at deconstructing film scenes into the parts that make them effective. But the scene in this where trapped hiker James Franco has to amputate his own arm with a pen knife is one of the most intense moments I've ever seen on screen. This is very similar in style to Slumdog Millionaire, but Danny Boyle gives those five days trapped in a gorge a unique story. I was unimpressed by some of the filler that they threw in there to make the film a solid hour and 35 minutes, but overall, it's an effective story. And yet another reason for me never, ever to go back to Utah.
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment