Friday, November 19, 2010

154. November 18, 2010 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (2010)

#60 on my Top 100 List
And here we are at the beginning of the end. Though Prisoner of Azkaban remains my favorite book, this one was a very close second and, seeing as how I was disappointed in the POA movie, I was nervous. I think that this film was wonderfully done. David Yates has become the Potter director. I also think I've discovered Steve Kloves' problem - he's just not that good at adapting long books into manageable-length movies. But here, where he has two films over which to spread out the events of the novel, he seems to have fewer pacing problems and fewer bad cutting decisions. The opening battle over Surrey was done beautifully, including shifting Hedwig's role just enough to make it even more heartbreaking, and the camping parts didn't feel nearly as long or monotonous as in the book. It was the perfect place to split the two movies and I'm eagerly awaiting Part 2 next July.
My Netflix rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment