Thursday, November 11, 2010

145. November 9/10, 2010 - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

I think I had only seen this once, a long time ago. In a lot of ways, it reminded me of Inception. Both of them get the tone right on for all of the scenes that take place inside someone's head. Sometimes it looks normal on the surface, but there's always a hint of something just a little off if you're really paying attention. You know how much I adore Kate Winslet and this movie got her her fourth Oscar nomination. And naturally, it won for Best Original Screenplay (just as Inception is probably going to this coming February/March). I especially like the title, which, as Kirsten Dunst says in the film, is from Alexander Pope's poem "Eloisa to Abelard":
How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;
The heroine in this poem is onto something, I think. Sometimes forgetting does seem like the easiest way.
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment