Friday, September 10, 2010

117. September 9, 2010 - The Girl Who Played With Fire (2009)

This is definitely a very different story than the first one. It's less graphic than events in the first, though the story gets more intense and has higher stakes for the main characters. Also, Mikael and Lisbeth spend the majority of this one apart, so the dynamic is completely new. I read in Entertainment Weekly that some people wonder whether author Stieg Larsson had issues with women. After seeing this, I disagree. I think he had major family issues. There is not a single functioning family anywhere in these stories! (At least not the first two - I have yet to read/see the third.) A couple of new characters are introduced (who I've been assured are important in the third installment), but the movie doesn't spend quite enough time establishing them. I guess that will have to come in The Girl Who Kicked the Hornett's Nest. Technically this seemed a little subpar when compared to the first one, but it's certainly not bad. I look forward to seeing the third movie (whenever it makes up to my corner of the country).
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment