Tuesday, July 6, 2010

87. July 5, 2010 - Signs (2002)

I hold firm in my theory that this is M. Night Shamylan's last good film. Though I haven't seen The Last Airbender yet, early reviews have not been encouraging. What happened to him? The Village had real potential until he pulled the trigger on the twist WAY too early - a whole hour of Bryce Dallas Howard running blind through the woods isn't interesting. But here, excepting of course the terrible ending, the story is good. He should be allowed to write stories, just not scripts (though Joaquin Phoenix is funny as he runs around his house shouting "I'm gonna beat your ass, bitch!").

My first thoughts on this one are here.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that this was his last great movie but I still have a soft spot in my heart for The Happening. I don't understand the hate that movie inspired except that it came on the heels of two really bad ones.

    ReplyDelete