Tuesday, June 22, 2010

80. June 21/22, 2010 - Downhill (1927)

I find silent films a little tedious, but normally I can make it through. This film is another of Hitchcock's incredible hard-to-find early offerings and though I found it to watch for free on the Internet Archive, the version they have includes no music. Truly silent. I'll admit, it was awfully hard to get through. I'm waiting for Hitchcock to hit his genre stride, which he hinted at with the dark material in The Lodger, but so far these are kind of fluff pieces. It's a sob story about a man whose life falls apart after he falsely takes the blame for a waitress's sudden pregnancy - mildly interesting to see how something like that (that seems like a manageable occurrence today) can totally destroy his life, but nothing other than that. The Netflix rating is hypothetical, since this film isn't available on DVD.
My Netflix rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment