Saturday, June 12, 2010

74. June 11/12, 2010 - The Lodger (1927)

I've decided that I'm going to watch all of Alfred Hitchcock's films in chronological order. His first film, The Pleasure Garden, is nearly impossible to find on Region 1 DVD, but I found a website that condensed it down to 1,000 frames. If you watch them on slideshow, it's almost like watching the movie and since I had no other option, that had to do. His second film, The Mountain Eagle, has no surviving prints anywhere, so that one was out too. This, his third film, was really the one to make him famous. The story is inspired by the murders of Jack the Ripper, featuring a mysterious masked serial killer who kills blonde women in the fog of London nights. Though the surviving prints are grainy, dark and difficult to watch, it's definitely worth trying for Hitchcock fans!
My Netflix rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment