Tuesday, April 13, 2010

37. April 12, 2010 - The Lost Weekend (1945)

Watching this brings my grand total of Best Pictures I have not seen down to 14. Out of 82, I'd say that's pretty good! It's a very dark movie, both in look and in content, about a man left to his own devices for a weekend despite the worries of his girlfriend and his brother. They're right to worry, of course, since the main character Don is a raging alcoholic who scours the city for a drink, going to far as to pickpocket the woman sitting next to him at a restaurant and destroy his own apartment looking for the last bottle he knows he has hidden somewhere. I'm not wild about the end of the movie - I think that it's a cop out to go that far and not pull the trigger, so to speak - but it would be an even darker and more upsetting movie if they had. Plus, this was made during the Production Code, so there were rules about what could and couldn't be done in regards to that sort of thing.
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment