Monday, March 2, 2009

March 2, 2009

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (2008)
#86 on my Top 100 List
I like this film much better than the first Chronicles of Narnia. The movie is darker, both in theme and visuals, the tone is more adult, and the characters are more developed. Though I miss James McAvoy as Mr. Tumnus (who wouldn't miss James McAvoy?), I think that the Telmarines and new Narnian characters work better in the story. There are several clear similarities to Lord of the Rings (trees show up at the Battle of the How just as they do at the Battle of Helms Deep; the river is used as a weapon against the bad guys just like it is in Rivendell against the Ringwraiths), but that makes sense, as JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis were good friends and writing around the same time. The final scene in Narnia is hearbreaking, especially with Regina Spektor's song "The Call" in the background.
My Netflix rating: 5 stars

*This is probably a good time to mention my policy regarding movies based on books: I never read the book first. With the exceptions of Harry Potter and Twilight, where I saw the first movie (or first two in Harry Potter's case) and then read all of the books, I have found that if I read the book first, I can't judge the movie without comparing it. If I see the movie first, I can appreciate both as individual entities.

No comments:

Post a Comment