Friday, March 6, 2009

Bonus Midnight Movie

*I couldn't decide if movies that I see in theaters at midnight should count for the day before or the day after, so I decided to make them bonus entries. I don't see many midnight movies, but when I do, I'll include them*

Watchmen
(2009)
So here was the movie of the unfilmable book. I was one of the few of us who hadn't read the graphic novel before seeing the movie. Most of the reviews that I had read said that where the movie tries to defeat comic book conventions, it only succeeds in falling victim to them. For a lot of the movie, I agreed with that, but the end does turn all the conventions upside down. Jeffrey Dean Morgan's performance as the Comedian is dark and twisted and sociopathic (like he's supposed to be) and it was the most striking to me simply because it was so different from what I'd seen him in before. Billy Crudup also was amazing, since his entire performance was motion-captured to become a fully naked, glowing blue man with white eyes. The chosen music was a great addition, from the original Leonard Cohen version of "Hallelujah" to selections from Phillip Glass's score from Koyaanisqatsi to "All Along the Watchtower" (that's the true secret of Watchmen - they're all Cylons).
I'm putting the Alessandro Juliani label on this entry because he's SUPPOSED to be in the movie - he's even in the credits - but I couldn't find him. I have to go back and see it again to look for him.
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment