Monday, February 7, 2011

199. February 6, 2011 - Mystic River (2003)

This is a very powerful movie that, in a less epic year, would have been a shoo-in for Best Picture. It had the misfortune of being up against Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, which was really all three Lord of the Rings films being honored, but it held its own. I find the score very haunting, especially because it's used so sparingly. It's also disorienting every time I see the Tobin Bridge in the background of a shot, since it's opposite the way I usually look at the Tobin. I love Brian Helgeland, since he's the one who wrote LA Confidential, and now that I'm actually reading Mystic River, I appreciate him even more. It's a very faithful but not stifling adaptation. The only bad thing I can say, I think, is how bad Laura Linney's Boston accent is. If you can't fake an accent, don't even try.
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment