Monday, March 8, 2010

19. March 8, 2010 - Alice in Wonderland (2010)

I am a big Tim Burton fan, but I don't think that he is great when it comes to CGI. Granted, the whole concept of Wonderland is hard to pull off without the use of intense visual effects, but this felt over the top to me. The story is already over the top - he didn't need to enhance it as much as he did. I think that the human elements of the film were by far the best - Johnny Depp was brilliant as the Mad Hatter and Anne Hathaway was subtly hilarious as the ethereal White Queen. The one CGI element that I really enjoyed was the Cheshire Cat - there is a thoroughly creepy character who was made whimsical and funny. It's interesting that this is a mash-up of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Through the Looking Glass and the poem Jabberwocky - I've never seen a version of the Alice story that incorporates the poem before. Also, was that Alice vs. the Jabberwocky we were watching or Frodo vs. the Witch King?
My Netflix rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment